NEW GROWTH TREES ROCK AND WATER

NEW GROWTH TREES ROCK AND WATER

This blog shows my activities and other people's initiatives. There are also articles that have been contributed.

Saturday 9 October 2010

A question of composting

I couldn't help slipping in my favourite plants. But really I wanted to mention composting..
I was speaking to someone on the plot today as I thought they may not be aware of various aspects of composting. I mentioned the fact that I never add brassicae or potato roots to my compost heap because of the likelihood of spreading disease and that I constantly turn the heap. I didn't want to go onto long as it would have been more like a lecture but I would like to mention that I try to keep the heap flat and wet. I keep a small bin in the kitchen for the green uncooked leftovers and i watch it like a hawk so that nothing else goes in.
I hope this might be of use. I thought it worth mentioning as sometimes people treat compost heaps as rubbish heaps. It really doesn't work that way if you want quality compost.


No comments: